Devon Stone is a family business established in 2004 operating out of Topsham, Devon and supplying the length and breadth of the United Kingdom and Channel Islands. Part of The JAM Interiors Group, Devon Stone differentiates itself from other natural stone suppliers by:
- Working closely with few but market leading suppliers to ensure the best quality of natural stone, fixing materials and care and maintenance products.
- Our ability to offer technical knowledge. With a combined century of stone knowledge within our team, including specification and installation, we not only understand what stone looks good, but how to ensure that it looks good permanently.
- The breadth of our offering to include the widest range of finishes, as well as our bespoke and semi bespoke abilities.
- Operating on a highly competitive pricing structure. We aim to be the most competitive suppliers on a like-for-like basis.
- Focusing on our service ethic in all our dealings.
- Exhibiting our stone range and different techniques (including book matched marble, waterjet cutting and bespoke Bisazza mural) in our 300 square meter showroom just 5 minutes from the M5 Exeter junction.
- Operating within an ethical and professional environmental policy and fully compliant with the new Construction Products Regulation.
Natural stone is a beautiful, timeless and enduring product that will enhance your home or workplace. As part of The JAM Interiors Group, we are not only happy to discuss your stone project but can also add further value in terms of the best design of your spaces, stone formats and finishes to use.
Meet Our Team
Jose established Devon Stone in 2004 with his late wife Amy. Having worked as a Management Consultant and specifically a project manager for Pfizer, Defra and BP Amoco, Jose joined the stone industry as a project manager for Stoneguard working on prestigious stone installations and restoration projects in the UK.
In 2004, Amy and Jose set up Devon Stone with the mission statement of ‘elegance within reach’. This was to supply the best possible quality of natural stone and the widest range of finishes through selective global sourcing. Whilst the company has grown and the breadth of services has increased, Jose has kept Devon Stone true to these values aligning Devon Stone with industry leaders Beltrami, Bisazza, CodeX, Schluter, CaPietra and Lantania. In many cases these partnerships stem back to the early days of the company but they all share a passion for quality and innovation.
When it comes to natural stone, Jose is passionate about design, quality of stone and quality of installation. He is uncompromising in these areas and strongly believes that natural stone needs to be beautiful, fit for purpose and installed and maintained in a way that will give you years of pleasure. Going forward Jose is committed to building the current stone offering of products and services but also using his role within the wider JAM Interiors Group to ensure that the company is at the forefront of natural stone design through its bespoke and semi bespoke services.
From a family of stonemasons, Simon’s apprentership and early career was spent carrying out conservation works at Wells Cathedral as well as residential, commercial and large public installations.
Simon went on to train with the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, and then advised on the installation specification of projects including The Houses of Parliament and Harrods. This led to an International technical specification role with projects including The Shard, Hilton Worldwide Hotel Group and Ferrari.
Simon brings considerable technical knowledge to the company and provides complete specifications for stone and installation. He works as a specifying partner for European product manufacturers and has served as an expert witness for architects and homeowners where poor quality stone had been supplied or installations have failed.
With so many new construction methods, systems and regulations to keep up to date, Simon is responsible for ensuring that all materials supplied by Devon Stone are of the highest technical standard and that their specification is correct to ensure that your investment is protected. Simon is responsible for the presentation of Devon Stone CPD seminars to architects and designers.
After a career in the textile industry took him all over the world, Matt returned to Britain to head up Marketing and Product Development for the Silent Gliss UK market. A successful stint at the Swiss firm saw Matt build the product range, including collections with Kelly Hoppen, turning Silent Gliss into a retail-focused brand. A period in Amsterdam followed. Matt ran Silent Gliss’s operations in Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg and gained a love for continental contemporary design. Matt’s passions for design culminated in 2006, when he returned to Devon and founded JAM Interiors with Jose, incorporating Devon Stone into the Group.
Today, Matt brings a strong design led ethos to Devon Stone and is responsible for ensuring that natural stone sits perfectly within the context of an overall interiors scheme.
REBECCA DE VERENNE
Rebecca is more than likely the first person you will hear at the end of the phone when calling Devon Stone. With a head for organisation, Rebecca not only makes sure that the team here is kept in order but is responsible for ensuring that your order through to delivery runs smoothly.
Rebecca will liaise with you regarding deliveries and any order and invoicing queries; or direct you to the most appropriate member of the team to handle your enquiry.
Despite natural stone being one of the most durable construction materials and almost inert in terms of emission release (unlike carpet and laminates), the extraction, production and transport of stone presents ethical and environmental challenges. In order to ensure natural stone’s status as a sustainable product, suppliers need to force improvements through the supply chain.
At Devon Stone we are continuously being asked about our approach to these challenges and so we have applied an ethical code of practice, shared with our strategic partners, which focusses on (but not exclusively):
- Working with suppliers that actively manage the environmental impact of their business. A key criteria in selecting our strategic partners is the adoption of an environmental and ethical policy by these organisations. A good example of this in practice is applied by our major European wholesaler BERTRAM. Through it’s fair environmental and commercial policy which insists that quarries and stone fabricators sign a company charter of Responsible Business.
- Selection of products and suppliers not only based on quality and price but also on sustainability, reliability, ethical practices, and workplace health and safety. A good example of this is not working with mosaic factories that use glue products in enclosed non ventilated spaces.
- Operation of a conscious logistics policy. Our position as a leading supplier of natural stone requires movement of natural stone across the world as well as within Europe and then the UK. Our centralised purchasing arrangement with key European wholesalers ensures that rigorous logistical standards are maintained; such as use of the latest EURO5 lorry fleet and transport hubs close to dock to minimise excessive movement of goods.
- Sea freight shipping as ballast. Devon Stone work with our shipping agents to minimise the carbon footprint of sea freight transport. This is achieved by categorising our stone containers as ballast – a necessary element of shipping and treated as carbon neutral.
- Application of environmentally friendly processes such as recycling of our waste product, in particular paper and wood (pallet) waste.
- Our vehicle replacement programme will see the selection of vehicles based on fuel efficiency and reduced CO2 emissions.